DAN JONES AW 10/11 | BEHIND THE SCENES + INTERVIEW | PART 1


    Make Up: Liz Hamilton; Hair: Katie at Wildlife ; Model: Natalie Felicity

    Dan Jones of his label dan jones is one of my most favourite designers in Australia. The reason? He makes black the new black. Most part of the luxury high end collection is black, but with the detailed and intricate textures created by individual beading, and ostrich feathers and sequins sewn on one by one, it gives the black a stand out. On top of this, is that he caters for both men and women ( though in the shoot, only a female model has been used). Again here is another androgynous label favourite of mine.

    I want the ostrich feather top, knit and well..all the tops and pants really!!

    Here are some pictures behind the scenes of the latest AW 10/11 Collection. ( official pictures can be found on the official facebook page and soon to be on his website). I also interviewed Dan awhile back and here it is. As there were so many pictures and such a comprehensive interview. I put this in 2 parts. The next part will come soon!




    Name and age?
    Dan Jones, 22

    Where are you based?
    Sydney

    What's your background?
    I was born in Australia, but my grandpa is from Ukraine.

    When and how did you decide design as your career?
    While I always wanted to have a career doing something creative, I never considered fashion. I wanted to be an architect and then I started to pursue entertainment design but was not selected to participate in the course. I then applied for fashion design, and become really involved in the industry. I've always had an interest in fashion so it was a really good fit.














    Were you always a fashionable person?
    I don't consider myself to be super fashionable. I’m also not that creative with what I wear – I’m generally dressed in basics, and either I wake up knowing exactly what I want to wear for the day, or I don't think and just grab whatever is closest!

    What was the process/ how did you start beginning your label?
    I had been discussing and talking about starting my own label so I eventually decided that it was the perfect opportunity to start putting something together. I was asked to style a shoot for the team at Wildlife Hair in Surry Hills and it turned out great so I kept working on pieces. Those images were then noticed by Tangent Magazine (www.tangentmag.com) and it just spiraled from there.

    What fabrics do you choose for you designs? /Where do you source your fabrics from?
    Fabrication for any designer in important. Most of my fabrics are high end synthetic, I do also use fabrics that consist of natural fibers. The embellished fabrics from my collection are hand beaded in India. I design the embroidery and I work with artisans over there to achieve what I'm after. It takes time but I like the fact that together with India I can create something that isn't available anywhere else in the world.

    Tips for aspiring designers, like me?
    Save money and be prepared to work, because nothing is just handed to you. Be true to yourself and don't lose your individualism and creative flair because of what other people think or tell you.









    Did you have any education in fashion? If so, where? If not, how did you learn the technical aspects?

    I graduated from FBI Fashion College in Sydney, and then worked for an established designer for a period of time. How did your friends/family react to you turning to design? I don’t think they took it seriously at first – my grandma calls me “dreamer" (from the Supertramp song). I am constantly dreaming away, but I think that with time they realised it was becoming more serious and they have supported me the whole way since.

    How do you approach your designs and what inspires you?
    Music inspires me; I listen to music and I find myself picturing the collection in my head. I draw inspiration from sound and photography, I love nothing more then getting in the zone and getting all my ideas out taking no notice of time that passes. It doesn't take me very long to decide what I want for the next collection, as I generally know exactly what I want to do down to colours, silhouettes and fabrics. It often hits when I’m driving or in the shower or supposed to be listening to something important!

    I sketch up my ideas and then we start working on the twoiles. Everything then just seems to fall into place. Though my collection is constantly evolving, it does eventually reach a point where I look at it as a whole and feel like its time for me to move on.

    What are your aesthetics/inspirations?
    I’m inspired by photography and nudity ... I love silhouettes and figures and movement and the feel of surfaces and fabric, as well as the sound that materials make when used together. This is obvious from the embroideries used in my collections. I use top quality, multifaceted glass beads to achieve the ultimate sparkle and sounds as they move and cling together, and top quality sequins so that they catch the light and maintain their level of shine over time.


















Total Pageviews